Monday, September 14, 2009

Fitting a square peg in a round hole

Basketball players can be meticulous with repetition. Tying their shoes the same way, same socks, arm band, pre game warm up, because basketball is a game of rhythm and repetition. Above all else, basketball is mental. And as complex as our minds work, players want as much assurance as possible.

But we all get into funks in life too. Past week I've been in one. I've lacked motivation, urgency, a sense of purpose. Biking back from campus today. I decided to take a detour, to break up all the monotonous.

Settled on a shady spot in Town Commons. Then I began talking to my Father. I read another chapter in Becoming the Answers to our Prayers co-written by Shane Claiborne. Spent some time reflecting on the past week. The image of the homeless guy sitting on the corner near food lion; all of my brothers and sisters each striving to take deeper root and know God better; all the unanswered questions that float inside my head, the dreams that spawn even more. And myself, trying to figure out how I fit into everything. What God placed me here to do. Struggling to see the bigger picture and what fits where.

This I do know, and was reminded of during my detour.

He is the vine and I am the branch. Apart from Him I can do nothing.

Yes my life is jumbled right now. Yes things don't add up. But I need to be breathing Him in, and exhaling problems, worries, and anxiousness out. Keeping my ear listening in to the whispers. Acting on them.

And remaining patient and letting God put the puzzle together before my very eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment