Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Weeds

I planted watermelons about the beginning of April. Since then, the seeds I planted have come up, and so have the weeds. I used the same seed as last year, but didn't plant quite as many. Half of the seeds were probably past their time, as they failed to sprout, but the rest did, and currently the best of them have vines spreading out, and probably within another 3 weeks I'll begin to see some melons starting the size of a thumb growing. I expect to have a few ripe around the end of July and the rest in August.

Two weeks ago I started carrying water out to them in a cooler with a spout that I can then pour the water out with, my makeshift watering can. Carrying water became necessary because we've been dry here in Carteret. Most of the rain always passes us to the north.

I've also started trying to keep the weeds at bay, which is quite a task even with a garden hoe. Working to oust the weeds has kept me thinking about the parable of the weeds. You can find the Parable here.

It is quite true that had the workers pulled up the weeds they would have pulled up the wheat too. I myself found this out first hand. Some weeds had come up encircling one of the watermelon plants and were threatening to choke it out. In puling them up to save the plant, I unearthed the watermelon root a little. The damage wasn't bad I believe, but I replaced soil around the plant as best I could. When last I checked the plant was thriving.

I've also learned that taking care of small weeds prevents bigger weeds from cropping up. This bears a lot of truth for the Christian. We cannot allow even little amounts of sin to take root in our lives, and remain. In time each will grow and take deeper root, until they are hard to purge, requiring force.

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you. Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment