Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To the ends of the earth (Iceland?)

Jesus I believe in you
And I would go
To the ends of the earth
To the ends of the earth
For you
Alone are Song of God
And all the world will see
That you are God
That you are God
"To the ends of the earth"-Hillsong

Here at UNC-W CCF has been praying for countries through Operation World. We started a couple of years ago and have currently prayed for every country through Ireland (Began alphabetically). One of the countries we prayed for this past spring really jumped out at me.

Iceland.

It's remote. No one ever thinks about it. The same goes for Greenland, Canada, and Alaska. Remote places so north that they never cross most people's mind, and when they do, they come with the tagline "Why would you want to go there? It's frigid."

And yet I found out there is a great need in Iceland...

Within Iceland, there exists a significant Buddhist population among the Thai,Northeastern people groups. There less than 2% of the population are Christians. Also there exists no complete Bible translation for either groups.

I can't say why God has laid these people on my heart but He has. I can't say whether I'm called to reach them long term, short term, or to help support work there, but this is something I'm beginning to pray about and research. When I consider God's heart for the nations, I cannot ignore the people of Iceland.

I'm starting by researching Iceland's history and culture. While I do that, I'm also going to begin looking for any organizations that are seeking to meet the need there.

I'm not sure where this will take me, or how all this fits in with my heart for college students, but I'm going to be praying to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment