Sunday, October 5, 2008

Just a Squirrel at a Masquerade Ball

I pulled up and parked my jeep, and got out. Looking over, I wondered if i was at the right place, and at the right time. After looking around while I began to walk over, i spotted a light outside, and decided to head for it. The light led to a doorway, and into the santuary, that except for some candles on the walls, the hall remained dark.

As I began to slowly make my way through, my keys jingled rather loudly while hooked to my belt. Feeling like i was shouting in the midst of this quiet gathering, i held the keys firm while i found a seat toward the back where i would be less conspicuous. As I sat down, i realized that the acoustics in the hall magnified even the slighted noise into a resounding echo.

I was at best a squirrel at a masquearade ball.

Visting St. Pauls 9:00 pm service this Sunday was a new experience. My first at an episcopal church. Taking in the scene, i remarked at the reverance the episcopaleans pay to God. Then the chorus proceeded in, taking their place at the back of the hall, and began to lift up in solemn song, praises to God.

Directly they presented Luke 20:9-19 in song/chant. I almost instantly recognized the parable. But toward the end, this thought jumped out and grabbed my attention.

"and He will be a sanctuary; but for both houses of Israel He will be a stone that causes men to stumble, and a rock that makes them fall." Isaiah 8:14
The prophecy referrs to Jesus. Cleary some of His teachings such as being the bread of life and that we must eat of his flesh, among many others has tripped up people of all nations over the centuries. If people stumble because of Jesus, what is my relation as one who sees that He is the cornerstone? What I can I do as one who has not stumbled to the point of being crushed?
Hopefully I'll have an answer in my next blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment