Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blessed are the poor in spirit

Two weeks ago I started memorizing scripture again. A buddy of mine put together a plan to go through Matthew 5-7 which we studied through last fall in a Tuesday morning Bible study. I'm currently up to V13.

As I've been memorizing I've also been reflecting on the scripture. I spent several days on V3 where it says "Blessed are the poor in Spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
I somewhat puzzled over that one. The other verses between 3-12 follow this format of Blessed are __________ for ____________. One definition of blessed is means "to be better off" Looking at the passage as I whole, I see these character traits that we should be adopting, but then I go back to V3 where it says "Blessed are the poor in spirit" and I initially ask myself am I supposed to be poor in spirit as a lifestyle? What does that mean?

I've been discussing the passage and the verse with some friends down in Wilmington, and they shared something they noticed as they talked about it at one of their recent gatherings.

Look at V3-10 as a spiritual journey from start to end result. To truly begin to pursue God, die to self and take up our cross and follow him, we have to recognize our spiritual poverty without him. Everything else pales in comparison to living a life for Him.

For the next two weeks I'm going to continue to blog through v4-10 and break down how each verse ties in to the spiritual journey we must all undertake.

No comments:

Post a Comment