Friday, December 12, 2008

If you were the last seed

Yesterday I started back with some quality times with God, in His presence, in His word. I began by reading John 12 to look ahead at what Overflow will cover next semester. As I was reading, this verse jumped out that I had never noticed before

"I tell you the truth, unless a kernal of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world, will keep it for eternal life." John 12:24-25

Jesus isn't talking about crops here, or presenting what seems on the surface to be a hard truth.

Read verse 25, then read 24 again.

Go ahead and read. I want you to hopefully draw the same conclusion, before i tell you what i think.

If we love who we are now, the things we have, then we're only looking an inch in front of our nose. Who we are now is still only a work in progress (though when Christ looks at us, He sees the finished product like any artist would). We cannot settle for this life. We must let go of what we want in this life, letting them take a back seat, until we seek God's kingdom (what is to come) first.

Think of it this way, if the kernal stays a kernal, he is just one. If he gives of himself, and looks to the future (what is to come) he becomes many seeds for what lies ahead.

How are you helping those following just a few pages behind? Are you taking what has been invested in you, and in turn investing it into someone else?

If I were the last seed of watermelon, I would hope I would ensure that generations to come could taste of my fruit. Shouldn't others be blessed by the love God has shown us?

No comments:

Post a Comment