Monday, August 16, 2010

What do you ask?

I recently finished a devotional book by John Eldredge titled "Walking with God." Eldredge is one of my favorite authors. Walking is a collection of his quiet times throughout the course of a year.

For most of the summer I've been meditating on what it means to ask in prayer. What am I really asking here? Do I really want to know the answer, or am I just asking because every good christian should?

This morning I was reading through Luke 7, part of my endeavor to read through the whole New Testament. I came across the story of the woman who wiped Jesus' feet with her tears and her hair. Toward the end of the story, Jesus points out that "He who has been forgiven little, loves little."

This prompted me to ask in prayer "Father are there areas of my life I am not letting you into? Areas that need forgiveness, redemption, and restoration?" The first time I asked, I felt I heard an "Ask again", after the second time, I heard stillness, then the third time He began to reply. One of the replies consisted of "Your work ethic."

At home this summer, there's been times where I haven't wanted to do anything at all, except chill. Realizing this, I began to ask God to come into my work ethic, and change my attitude. To be joyful when a task presents itself, to be eager to meet the task.

I'm going to continue to ask that question throughout my day, and look and see what else God replies with.

P.S. Somehow I got in an awesome hour of quiet time without interruption from the cat. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment