Monday, March 29, 2010

Who you trying to impress?

Since Christmas break begun, I've been learning the ukulele. I've always wanted to play an instrument. I've taken piano on and off since I was 12, but I'm still not very good. Since being in college, I haven't had access to a piano, nor the time to keep practicing and improving.

Then I inherited a ukulele from my uncle. The instrument is nimble for me. By nimble I mean small, compact, maneuverable. Ukulele's only have 4 strings, so for me its also been easier to pick up. I've been teaching myself through youtube tutorial videos, and chord charts I found online.

I guess I've surprised a lot of people who didn't think I had any musical talent. Lately I've especially gotten the question "Who you tryin to impress?"

Honestly its a creative outlet for me. Something of my very own that i can do. Where others have impressive blogs, great athletic ability, etc, I now have the ukulele. But beyond that we can waste our lives trying to impress people.

"On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts." 1 Thessalonians 2:4

Throughout my college career, I've been growing especially in the area of not setting out to please people, but to please God, who alone I ultimately answer to. I've gained confidence in myself, and I don't compare myself to others as much as I used to.

Its a work in progress, but all along the way I'm finding who I am and who I'm meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment