Sunday, March 22, 2009

Philly in Review

If asked to sum up my Christain walk into two sentences, this is what I would say:

Jesus found me when I was hopelessly lost. Since then, I've sought to shake off mediocrity, and to reclaim what being a Christian means, harkening back to the first century, and to Jesus Himself.

The trip to Philadelphia was another step in that journey. Over the past year, I've begun to learn more and more about social justice, poverty, and people in need. I travelled to Philadelphia to meet the poor, to be the one standing outside looking in, and to let God break another piece of my heart, and to remake it as He pleases.

The stories I have shared, only began to capture the scene, the lessons, the memories, etc. As we closed our time in Philly with one last devotion, God led me to share the words of 2 Corinthians 8:7-15. I highly encourage you to read all of it, but I want to home in on verse 14.

"At the present time, your plenty will suply what they need, so that in turn, their plenty will supply what you need."

What plenty has God given you, my dear reader, that you can share or give to those in need?

For me I know that I have extra resources that I can give away, finances that can be spent wiser and better invested. But God has also called me to gather people to pray, to make disciples. Through those ministries, I can raise awareness of the situation, and call others to also one day end poverty.

These series of posts have in essence begun to fulfill that, by sharing the stories of Tim, Will, RaRa, Paul, Sunday Breakfast, that their love shown, their stories would never be forgotten, but instead change the perceptions we have of those on the streets.

I met Jesus on the streets in Philly, sat at his feet, walked with him blocks away, and waited with him in line for food. And he accepted me as his own. He began to teach me to love unconditionally.

Will you do the same?

From here, I can't say where I'm headed. I see many paths before me, different ministries, needs, etc. But this I am resolved of doing. I intend to continue to surrender my life to Him, to let go, and let Him take me where He wishes. Maybe I'll even be a Philip, carried here and there by the Spirit.

"The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8

No comments:

Post a Comment