Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Accusations

Last night as I lay in bed, reflecting on the day behind me, and the day ahead, I got blindsided. Out of the darkness and the quietness of the night, the Accuser started his charge.

He brought up previous actions, pain I'd caused others. Shame began to set in. "Hypocrite." "Unworthy to be called a follower of Him." These rang in my mind.

So I slid out of bed, got down on my knees and began to pray to my Father. I confessed these shortcomings. I prayed that the day would come quickly when I would finish surrendering my life to Him, and be used by Him completely.

As I prayed on, peace began to settle. Then recognition hit. This can only be the work of the Accuser. Sometime later I drifted off to sleep.

At some point during the night, whether in a dream, or a brief moment of consciousness before falling back asleep, this verse came into mind.

"...be transformed by the renewing of your mind..."

When I woke up the next morning, the words still stuck at the forefront of my mind. Feeling compelled to read the passage, I turned to Romans 12, there I found God's answer.

"Therefore I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the patter of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will."

In view of God's mercy, offer your body...be transformed...

Father, I know that my own life has accomplished little good. Like Paul, I feel compelled to say I am the worst of sinners. But Lord, you did not create me to be this way. You created me for greater purposes. And by laying aside my life, I take a firmer hold of the life you are living in me.

To you be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment